Senior Consultant vascular surgeon,
# 21, Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai.
Dr. Venugopal Balaji was born in the year 1963 and had is
undergraduate medical education at Madras Medical College Chennai. He graduated in the year 1986 and
joined post graduate surgical training immediately at Madras Medical College and Government General
Hospital Chennai. He passed out in 1989 and left for United Kingdom for further higher surgical
He obtained FRCS from Royal college of Surgeons of England in 1989 and FRCS from Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in1990. In 1997 he was first overseas candidate to obtain FRCS from Inter Collegiate Board of Royal Colleges. In the same year in recognition of his excellent academic performance he was elected Fellow of International College of Surgeons by the European Section of the college.
Education & Medical Training
- His training in U.K included various aspects of vascular surgery and Transplantation surgery.
- Had a short spell of training at University of Minnesota Hospitals Minneapolis USA in pancreas transplantation.
- Had training in endovascular surgery at Cologne Germany.
- Authored and co-authored more than 25 publications in general, vascular and transplantation surgery in various international journals.
- Presented papers in many national and international conferences had has been an invited faculty for many scientific gatherings.
- He returned to India in early 1999 and since then has started a dedicated vascular surgical unit at Apollo Hospitals Chennai.